by Dr Mecherl Lim
MD (MA) Naturopath (ND), Holistic Kinesiology
Lets us understand WHAT CAUSES LEAKY GUT SYNDROME?
A possible cause of LEAKY GUT is increased Intestinal Permeability or Intestinal Hyperpemeability.
That could happen when tight junction in the gut, which control what passes through the lining of the small intestine, don’t work properly. That could let substance leak in the bloodstream.
People with Celiac Disease & Crohns disease experience this. Example, Toxins in form of Medications, like Steriods, Antibiotics, Advil, Acid reducing drugs and environment toxins like Mecury, Pesticides & BPA from plastic. Stress and Age might also contributes to a Leaky Gut.
Digestive issues include Bloating, Gas, Diarrhea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Cramp, Food Sensitivities, Aches & Pains.
Leaky Gut Sydrome aren’t unique. They are shared by other problem too. Leaky Gut often overlooked as a condition when under disgestive stress, and almost completely ignored if you have been diagnosed with another disease.
However, it is often a root cause of many health concerns,when the gut cannot properly digest nutrients.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A LEAKY GUT SYNDROME?
A number of symptoms can arise from Neurological, Endocrine and Metabolic eg: Mood Changes, Memory Lapses, Irritable Bowel, Cancer, Loss of Energy, reduced
in Immune Response, Arthritis, Malnutrition, Bloatedness,
Chronic Fatigue, general Seasonal Allergies, Food Allergies, Intolerences, Skin Rashes (related to inflammation), Nutritional deficiencies, (improper absorption),
weakend immune system (from overexertion), Candida Over Growth, Constipation, ongoing Diarrhea, Atopy, Chronic Uticaria, Ulcerative Colitis, Acute Gastroenterities, Cystic Fibrosis, Exocrine Pancreatic Defects, Poor Digestion, Iron Deficiency, Bowel Cancer, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Maldigestion.
When your immune system attacks particles that escape into the blood stream, regardless of whether they are harmful or not, the killer cells inadvertenly attack healthy cells in the process creating more inflammation thoughtout the body.
Symptoms may spread body wide, but still be attributed to other lifestyle factors. Gaps from intestinal lining widen from inflammation.
Leaky Gut Syndrome
MANY WAYS OF MANAGING LEAKY GUT AND REDUCING SYMPTOMS
- We could support Liver Function to improve Detoxification such as 1st Phase MHT 5 Days Detoxification programme and followed by 2nd Phase MHT Detoxification as we need to check yeast infections and parasites as the person may be suffering from Achlorhydria, Lactose Intolerance and Pancreatic Insufficiency (refer http://www.drmecherlherbs.com)
- Reinoculating the bowel with beneficial colonic bacteria, by supplementing with good bacteria count such as Proflora A.
- Restabilising the gut epithelium to normal function.
- Eliminate or reduce the insult to the gut barrier from xenobiotic or food allergies.
- Follow an elimination diet or eliminate substances that produce toxic insult to the gut. 80% of individuals who have food allergens or intolerences have LEAKY GUT SYDROME.
- Limit the uses of Alcohol, Antibiotics, Aspirin, and NSAIDS as they damage the gut barrier.
- Reduce exposure to exogenous xenobiotics eg: pesticide, insecticides, and irritant chemicals, by eating more organically grown vegetables.
- Increase the intake of high fibre foods, slippery elm, bananas and cabbage.
- Increase intake of fish, cod, tuna, salmon or their oil.
- Support the liver with supplements on phase II as above mentioned.
- Glucosamine and Glutamine improve the bowel wall integrity and reduce bowel leakiness.
- Improve digestion by supplementing with digestive enzymes